Phone: +61 7 3231 8860
I developed the Professional Risk Group at Thynne + Macartney over 30 years ago and believe that my team’s in-depth understanding of relationships assists in avoiding misunderstandings that may ultimately have a commercial impact.
I have a long history of specialist practice in the area of professional negligence and defence of professionals of various disciplines and in relation to a wide variety of claims from very large and complex matters to smaller cases. I have been involved in many complex litigated cases and appeals and some very significant high value claims and disputes in a variety of jurisdictions.
As a result of this experience, I always look for the best way forward. Where possible, I aim to resolve matters according to the true merits of the claim and where possible, guide the process away from the pitfalls of protracted litigation. If my team can resolve pre-litigation, we do.
My areas of specialisation include:
- Professional Risks
- Directors and Officers liability
- Employment Practices Liability
- Association Liability
- Policy advisory and indemnity advices
- Special Issues, Litigation and Advice
- Risk Management, project, retainer and construction agreement review
- Disciplinary and CMC proceedings and investigations
- Complex commercial litigation in all jurisdictions, including overseas in Singapore, Thailand, Columbo, Papa New Guinea and other Pacific regions with claim values up to AUD$300m and US$200m
- Commercial construction
- Government negotiations including the introduction of legislation
- Professional independent directorships
- Dispute resolution and mediations of all types.
John is currently Chairman of a national and international specialist professional indemnity brokerage and underwriting company, IBL Limited. He is also Managing Trustee of the Mayne Estate Trust, which is the largest benefactor to the Medical School at the University of Queensland.
John was also named by Best Lawyers Australia for Professional Malpractice Litigation and Insurance Law, 2014 to 2017. He was named by Doyles List as a Leading Queensland Professional Indemnity Lawyer from 2015 to 2017.
In successfully defending these claims, my team has enabled many people to resume their professional lives. My team has successfully defended architects, engineers, quantity surveyors, accountants, valuers and real estate agents, solicitors, barristers, brokers, insurance agents, travel agents, directors and officers, associations, international computer integrators, customs agents, migration agents, veterinarians, agricultural claims, marine surveyors and numerous other professional agencies and vocations.