Our team of agribusiness specialists has more than 100 years accumulated experience in working for farmers and graziers in Queensland, the Northern Territory and the border river areas of northern New South Wales. We know and understand the rural sector and offer a complete range of legal solutions to over 1,200 corporations and families operating in agriculture.
Our clients know their business transactions are secure because they are drawing on the knowledge of the most experienced team of agribusiness lawyers in Queensland.
Lawyers recruited to join the firm’s Agribusiness practice are chosen for their passion for agriculture and in many cases maintain close ties with their rural backgrounds.
Our clients benefit from our strong rural network. We stay in regular contact with peak rural industry organisations and have strong links with rural stock and station agents, accountants and other professionals who share our interest in the issues and opportunities facing Australian agriculture.
We have particular expertise in:
- sales and purchases of grazing and farming properties, including pre-contract advice, structuring of purchasing entities, contract negotiation and due diligence
- sales and purchases of water entitlements, livestock and other agricultural business assets
- compensation for mining and gas activities, and statutory resumptions
- land tenures and tenure conversion
- succession planning for and restructures of family-owned and corporate agricultural businesses
- resource management arrangements, including leases, agistment agreements, horticultural licences, share farming agreements and management and consultancy agreements
- livestock export and livestock processing agreements
- vegetation clearing and other environmental regulations
- native title and Aboriginal cultural heritage
- Foreign Investment Review Board applications
- taxation and revenue implications of transactions, including transfer duty, land tax, GST and CGT
We have been involved in some of Queensland and the Northern Territory’s headline rural property transactions and our specialist knowledge of the unique land tenures in rural Australia has assisted clients attain their goals. We have acted in multi-million dollar sales and purchases for:
- Camm Agricultural Group
- Consolidated Pastoral Company Pty Limited
- Macquarie Pastoral Fund / Paraway Pastoral Company
- The North Australian Pastoral Company Pty Limited
- Stanbroke Pty Ltd
- Western Grazing Company
A significant number of businesses and individuals have been affected by the increase in mining, coal seam gas and infrastructure development throughout regional Queensland. We have negotiated or litigated over 300 difficult compensation and access arrangements in the Land Court on behalf of rural landowners in the last two years, giving our clients more compensation, greater control of the outcome and better security.
We will acknowledge and action instructions within 24 hours of receipt and address urgent requests immediately. Clients are able to get in touch with us outside normal working hours.
We believe in sharing the knowledge we’ve gained with nearly 40 years in the rural sector. We have authored three successive editions of the laws affecting primary producers in Queensland, the Legal Guide for Primary Producers, published by the Law Foundation Queensland and the Queensland Law Society.
Exploring solutions is easier face to face. We maintain a visited office program involving regular scheduled visits to Roma, Charleville, Longreach, Emerald and Rockhampton. To view the Visited Office Program, please see below.
To read the latest articles from our latest Agribusiness Newsletter – December 2019, click here.
To view our upcoming regional visits for 2020, click here.
Whether you’re growing stock, crops or wealth – we’re with you.
Doyle’s Guide (Queensland)
- Leading Firm in Agribusiness – Tier 1 (2017-2019)
Lawyer’s Weekly – Australian Law Awards
- Property Team of the Year, Finalist (2017)