With over 20 years' experience in property law in Queensland, Aaron leads Thynne + Macartney's Property Group with Sue Maxwell.
Specialising in the acquisition and disposal of commercial and retail properties, Aaron also has experience in commercial and retail leasing. He has helped clients in structuring contracts for new projects and re-developments, strata titled developments, and property matters involving freehold and other tenure whether it be leasehold, deed of grant on trust, reserves or trustee leases.
Clients include property developers, business owners, property investors, landlords and tenants, large not for profit organisations, churches, retirement village operators, property owners and individuals.
Not for Profit
Having partnered with not-for-profit clients for nearly 20 years working to find better solutions to the unique challenges these organisations face, Aaron has developed expertise in relation to their property issues. He has provided advice to a number of church-based organisations in the health, retirement, and the aged care and community sectors. He understands the key players, complex relationships and management structures within different church and not-for-profit organisations, understands how to navigate these projects across the line and protect and manage the relationships and reputations of these clients.
Aaron has advised operators in aged care and retirement living throughout all stages of the village, from initial planning and structuring, development, tendering, contracting, registration and resident agreements. Once established, he and his team provide on-going support and guidance on compliance and the increasingly complex regulations as well as alternative models for seniors living.
Aaron believes in freeing his clients from risk as much as possible while ensuring their projects move forward efficiently. His aim is to give clients control of their projects by making certain that all their rights, responsibilities and opportunities under the law fully capitalised on.
Aaron is one of only 28 Queensland Law Society Accredited Specialists in Property Law.
Accredited Specialists are lawyers who have successfully completed an advanced, peer-reviewed assessment program specific to their area of expertise, demonstrating their high level of knowledge and skills in that area.
Only lawyers, not law practices, can be Accredited Specialists.
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers Australia
- Leasing Law (2021-2022)
- Real Property (2017-2022)
Doyle’s Guide Queensland
- Health & Aged Care – Recommended (2017-2020)
- Leasing – Recommended (2019-2021)
- Property & Real Estate – Recommended (2018 & 2020-2021)
Lawyers Weekly – Australian Law Awards
- Property Team of the Year – Finalist (2017 & 2020-2021)
Lawyers Weekly – Partner of the Year Awards
- Partner of the Year Award for Real Estate – Finalist (2018)
- Accredited Specialist in Property Law - Queensland Law Society
- Master of Laws - Queensland University of Technology
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland in February 1997
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) - University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Commerce - University of Queensland
Memberships & Appointments
- Lexon Advisory Panel
- Lexon is the principal insurer for legal firms in Queensland. Aaron authors the “Leasing Risk Tools” for Lexon Insurance, the primary insurer of legal firms in Queensland.
- Property Council of Australia
- Queensland Law Society
- Urban Development Institute of Australia (Qld)