With over 15 years' experience in insurance advisory and litigation, Matthew has a particular focus on transport and maritime-related matters.
Clients rely on Matthew for advice on a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, including insurance coverage, personal injury claims, marine insurance, property damage and professional and product liability.
He has significant experience in transport and maritime-related matters, including: carriage of goods, marine casualties (collisions & groundings), pollution incidents, ship repair, workplace health and safety issues, statutory prosecutions and inquests. Matthew regularly presents to marine insurers, vessel operators and crew in relation to marine regulations, managing vessel incidents, injury claims and risk management.
Matthew has led many immediate responses to marine and transport casualties and supervising casualty response teams to help secure the best possible legal and commercial outcomes for his clients. As a result, he is acutely aware of the impact timely and appropriate responses to incidents can have on the end result for his client, as well as the importance of strong media and public relations strategies when dealing with matters under intense public scrutiny.
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers Australia
- Insurance (2019-2021)
- Shipping & Maritime (2019-2021)
- Transportation (2018-2021)
- Shipping – Band 3 (2019-2021)
Doyle’s Guide Australia
- Admiralty, Shipping & Maritime – Recommended (2015-2018 & 2020), Leading (2019)
- Transport – Rising Star (2014)
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, Australia
- Transport – Shipping (2016)
Who’s Who Legal
- Shipping (Global) – Recommended (2020)
- Shipping (National) – Recommended (2019)
- Bachelor of Business Management - University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) - University of Technology
- Admitted as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of Queensland in January 2003