Based in Thynne + Macartney's Cairns office, Murray has nearly 15 years of experience across insurance, public liability and personal injury litigation across industries and sectors including maritime, transport, building and construction and medical malpractice.
With a focus on the defence of public liability claims for national and international insurers, Murray has also provided advice for first- and third-party property damage claims and the defence of international intentional tort claims.
Clients rely on him to manage and resolve complex matters, bringing together his expertise in indemnity insurance, liability claims, interpretation of multi-jurisdictional policy and legislation, and drafting of complex legal instruments and development of innovative strategies.
Murray's goal is to achieve resolution for his clients in an efficient and effective manner. He has worked across numbers jurisdictions and has significant experience in court and negotiating contentious matters.
- Admitted as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of Queensland in February 2009
- Bachelor of Laws - University of Newcastle
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences - University of Newcastle
Memberships & Appointments
- Recently ran the defence of a complex multi-million dollar NSW Supreme Court industrial accident personal injury proceeding where the plaintiff’s claim was advanced against five defendants from five different international jurisdictions. In addition to complex liability issues, the claim involved legal and factual disputes over limitation period, statutory recovery entitlement, applicable jurisdiction, consumer law and identification of correct defendant entity. The defendants successfully achieved a compromised settlement by way of binding deed of release significantly lower than the plaintiff’s damages expectations prior to the commencement of the two-week hearing.
- Acted for the owner of a hotel in NSW Supreme Court proceedings filed by a family of plaintiffs seeking millions in damages by way of a dependency claim, following the murder of a family member at my client's licenced premises. Successfully negotiated judgments in favour of my client in all five proceedings.
- Successfully obtained an acquittal for a prominent State Government public servant criminally prosecuted for attempting to mislead the NSW Independent Commission against Corruption (ICAC).
- Negotiated a favourable settlement in a District Court proceeding on behalf of the NSW Police Force for a highly-publicised matter involving 10 NSW police officers facing allegations of malicious prosecution and use of excessive force against a handcuffed female suspect in custody. Two officers faced disciplinary measures for their conduct.
- Acted in coronial inquest for the family of former NSW police officer who passed away during exercise stress test at a NSW Hospital. The Coroner’s decision was reported and resulted in a change in the process by which patients with potential coronary issues are triaged and monitored.
- Acted for NSW Police in the defence of intentional tort claims against officers for wrongful arrest, assault and malicious prosecution.
- Acted for and advised Sydney Water in the running of its commercial recoveries for damage to its assets.
- Advised on and appeared in building dispute matters in the NCAT and QCAT relating to waterproofing and tiling defects. In the NCAT, for a mechanic in defence a proceeding filed by a customer for the theft of his vehicle whilst it was in the possession of the mechanic. In this proceeding, it was established that the customers’ claim was fraudulent and the proceedings were dismissed.
- Acted in a number of interlocutory applications in a range of jurisdictions. Recently acted in an application for recusal of a NSW Supreme Court judge for apprehended and/or actual bias.
- Represented the chief of staff of a NSW minister in ICAC proceedings which resulted in a finding by the Commissioner that the chief of staff had not engaged in corrupt conduct.