As head of Thynne + Macartney's Family law group, Nichola has nearly 30 years' experience supporting clients through the decision-making process around relationships and family issues
Nichola helps clients to navigate the often difficult territory of family law to discover the best result possible for them and their loved ones. This includes finding a course through parenting matters including complex situations such as relocation disputes, child protection and child abduction in Queensland, interstate and overseas.
She also assists with matrimonial and de facto property settlements, pre-nuptial and post-nuptial financial agreements, spousal maintenance, paternity issues, family and surrogacy, domestic violence matters, divorce, spousal maintenance and child support.
Nichola has undergone advanced training in collaborative law and family dispute resolution. With her training, she explores and encourages clients to pursue non-adversarial and more cost-effective methods of dispute resolution. If matters escalate, Nichola also has extensive experience in court proceedings to represent her clients.
Sharing her knowledge and experience with others is important to Nichola. For many years, she has been heavily involved with the mentoring programs for law students at Queensland University of Technology, Griffith University and Women Lawyers Association of Queensland.
Nichola is one of 195 Queensland Law Society Accredited Specialists in Family Law. Thynne + Macartney's Family team has two accredited specialists.
She is also one of 44 accredited specialists listed as a recommended domestic violence lawyer by the Queensland Law Society.
Accredited Specialists are lawyers who have successfully completed an advanced, peer-reviewed assessment program specific to their area of expertise, demonstrating their high level of knowledge and skills in that area.
Only lawyers, not law practices, can be Accredited Specialists.
Mediation and Collaborative Law
Nichola is a Nationally Accredited Mediator specialising in Family Law and is registered with the Mediator Standards Board and the Queensland Law Society. She is a member of and accredited by the Resolution Institute.
She is also member of the Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators.
Nichola has been qualified as a Collaborative Lawyer since 2009 and is a member of the Queensland Association of Collaborative Practitioners.
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers Australia
- Family (2019-2023)
- Family Law Mediation (2020-2023)
Lawyers Weekly - Australian Law Awards
- Special Counsel of the Year for Family Law - Finalist (2017 & 2018)
- Griffith University Mentoring Program - Remarkable mentor award (Inaugural - 2019)
- Griffith University Mentoring Program - 10 years recognition (2018)
- Accredited Specialist in Family Law - Queensland Law Society
- Collaborative Law training - University of Technology Sydney
- Collaborative Law advanced training - International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Family Dispute Resolution and Mediation Course - Queensland University of Technology
- Admitted as a Legal Practitioner to the:
- Supreme Court of Queensland in 1991
- High Court of Australia in 1993
- Master of Laws - Queensland University of Technology
- Bachelor of Laws - University of Queensland
Memberships & Appointments
- Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators (AIFLAM)
- Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia and Family Law Practitioners Association (Qld)
- Institute of Managers and Leaders
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Queensland Association of Collaborative Practitioners
- Queensland Law Society
- Resolution Institute
- Women Lawyers Association of Queensland
- Committee Member - Treasury Support
- Women's Legal Service